Message from Our Chapter President
Welcome Houston HIMSS members!
We recently announced the new FY2018-2019 Houston HIMSS Chapter Board of Directors and our Committee Chairs, and we are thrilled to have such a strong team engaged to lead and facilitate programs this year
Each year, the Board of Directors meets to plan for the coming year. This year, we are focusing on the following areas to promote stability and growth:
- Programs/Education - Our goal is to continue to enhance the quality of programs and education activities, in keeping with the HIMSS mission to educate Health IT professionals. We will continue to have monthly lunch and learns, networking events and special events to enhance the membership experience. We are planning on a second annual CIO summit along with two full-day Healthcare related summits – Security/Cyber and Value Based Reimbursement. Starting in the fall, we plan on increasing your ability to attend the educational session via WebEx or other remote web conferencing system. We are also planning on having an educational session/networking event in College Station and the Galveston/Clear Lake area this year.
- Revenue - Our goal is improve the financial sustainability of the chapter by providing high quality events. In order to meet our financial goals, we will be hosting our second Golf Tournament and our second CIO Forum. We will participate in the Texas Regional HIMSS conference held in Austin in April 2019 by providing guidance, support and resources to make the event successful.
- Membership - We will continue to expand membership by partnering with our organization affiliates like TMCx and Texas A&M to understand their needs and execute on feedback from current members on how we can improve as a chapter. We have set a goal of increasing membership to 2,000 members this year (a 40% increase over our current membership).
- Mentoring Program – starting this year we are going to follow National HIMSS leadership goals by providing a new “Mentoring” program for chapter members who are interested in connecting with experienced Chapter leaders to learn what it takes to thrive in the HCIT community. The Mentoring program will be lead by HIMSS leaders with over 10 years of experience in Healthcare.
- Outreach - This year we are expanding our reach to more members and locations. We will be working closing with TMCx in the Medical Center and plan on expanding our reach South to Galveston, West to Katy, East to Beaumont, and North to The Woodlands and as far as College Station.
As your Chapter President, I will focus my efforts on working with our Board of Directors, volunteers, Committee Chairs, and members at large to make sure our events are educational and provide value to the Health IT community.
Now over 1,300 members strong and growing, your local Houston HIMSS Chapter is proud to be growing with you. We are continually looking for people who are interested in volunteering their time and skills to help in various aspects of our chapter. If you are interested, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer!
As you can see, we will be involved in many events throughout the year so keep checking our Calendar of Events for updates and announcements! On behalf of the 2018/2019 Houston HIMSS Board, we are excited for the upcoming year ahead and look forward to networking with you at one of our many events!
President, Houston HIMSS