Houston Chapter of HIMSS Student Scholarship
PURPOSE: Provide cash scholarship(s) to students demonstrating academic excellence and leadership potential in healthcare IT and related fields. Scholarships are financial awards that do not need to be repaid.
AMOUNT: Up to three scholarships will be awarded for each fiscal year July 1st - June 30th.
- Be a full-time or part-time associate, bachelor, graduate, or doctoral student attending an accredited institution, including an online degree program. Enrollment in a certificate or certification program will not be considered as completion of the program does not result in the awarding of a degree. The financial award will be made available following proof of completion of a course(s) from an accredited institution and a minimum grade of B in each course.
- Be a student or employee sponsored member of HIMSS and Houston Chapter of HIMSS.
- Be available to provide a brief presentation to the board during the fiscal year of the scholarship award.
- Have not received Houston Chapter of HIMSS scholarship in the prior year.
- Statement of Intent (400-500 words) to describe:
- Professional and personal goals in the healthcare IT or incorporation of healthcare IT
- Use of the scholarship award
- Describe financial needs if applicable
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Official Transcript(s) (Please send all transcripts)
Note: If you have multiple degrees, please send sealed official transcript(s) for current degree program and previously obtained degrees. You can request to have transcripts forwarded to the address below or if you wish to send transcripts by online, links must be provided directly from the schools.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Please read HIMSS Houston Chapter Scholarship Policy and sign/send the agreement as part of the application.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED STARTING ON: January 1st, 2019
DEADLINE: 5:00 PM (CST): March 1, 2019
SUBMITTING APPLICATIONS and TRANSCRIPTS:
Submit applications by email to: Juliana J. Brixey Juliana.J.Brixey@uth.tmc.edu
For transcripts, please mail to:
Juliana J. Brixey PhD, MPH, MSN, RN
7000 Fannin Suite 600
Houston, TX 77030
Recipients of scholarships are selected through a holistic review of the applicant’s statement of intent, resume/CV, academic history, official transcript, and recommendation letters that demonstrate an exceptional level of leadership, scholarship, communication and HIMSS participation as outlined below.
Applications will be reviewed and final selection will be made by the Scholarship Selection Subcommittee of Houston HIMSS Chapter.
HIMSS Participation (40 Points)
Years of Membership
1-5 = 2 Points 11-15= 8 Points
6-10 = 6 Points >16 = 10 Points
Attends HIMSS Houston events such as monthly Lunch and Learn and social events = 2 Points
Volunteer for Houston HIMSS events = 8 Points
Volunteer for Regional HIMSS events = 5 Points
Volunteer at National HIMSS events = 5 Points
Houston HIMSS Board Member = 5 Points
Committee Chairperson = 2 Points
National Elected or Volunteer = 3 Points
Leadership (20 Points)
School Related/Academic Activities
Extracurricular, Community, and Volunteer Service Activities
Professional Society Involvement (excluding HIMSS)
Communications (10 Points)
Scholarship (30 Points)
Academic Records/Transcripts (Submitted from all schools attended)
GPA (<3.0 on a 4.0 scale)
3.0 – 3.4 = 2 Points
3.5. - 3.8 = 3 Points
3.9 – 4.0 = 5 Points
Additional Informatics Education/Training
Letters of Recommendation
(3 letters, not from friends)