Houston Chapter of HIMSS Student Scholarship
PURPOSE: Provide a $2,000 scholarship to students demonstrating academic excellence and leadership potential in healthcare IT and related fields. Scholarships are financial awards that do not need to be repaid.
AMOUNT: Up to three awards for $2,000 each per fiscal year ending in June 30th.
- Be a full-time or part-time associate, bachelor, graduate, or doctoral student attending an accredited institution, including an online degree program.
- Be a student or employee sponsored member of HIMSS and Houston Chapter of HIMSS.
- Be able to provide a brief presentation of the process of the degreed seeking program to the board toward the end of the fiscal year.
- Students enrolled in a certificate or certification program are not eligible to apply for the scholarships.
- Have not received Houston Chapter of HIMSS scholarship in prior year.
- Statement of Intent (500-1000 words) to describe:
- HIMSS involvement
- Professional and personal goals in the healthcare IT or incorporation of healthcare IT
- Use of the scholarship award
- Describe financial needs if applicable
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Official Transcript(s) (Please send all transcripts)
Note: If you have multiple degrees, please send sealed official transcript(s) for current degree program and previously obtained degrees. You can request to have transcripts forwarded to the address below or if you wish to send transcripts by online, links must be provided directly from the schools.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Please read HIMSS Houston Chapter Scholarship Policy and sign/send the agreement as part of the application.
DEADLINE: 5:00 PM (CST): April 2, 2018
SUBMITTING APPLICATIONS and TRANSCRIPTS:
Submit applications by email to: Juliana J. Brixey Juliana.J.Brixey@uth.tmc.edu
Juliana J. Brixey PhD, MPH, MSN, RN
7000 Fannin Suite 600
Houston, TX 77030
Each application packet will be systematically reviewed following a scoring rubric. Points will be are awarded for HIMSS involvement, statement of intent, resume, academic history, official transcript(s), and recommendation letters.
Applications will be reviewed and final selection will be made by the Scholarship Selection Subcommittee of Houston HIMSS Chapter.
HIMSS Participation (40 Points)
Years of Membership
1-5 = 2 Points 11-15= 8 Points
6-10 = 6 Points < 16 = 10 Points
Attends HIMSS Houston events such as monthly Lunch and Learn and social events = 2 Points
Volunteer for Houston HIMSS events = 8 Points
Volunteer for Regional HIMSS events = 5 Points
Volunteer at National HIMSS events = 5 Points
Houston HIMSS Board Member = 5 Points
Committee Chairperson = 2 Points
National Elected or Volunteer = 3 Points
Leadership (20 Points)
School Related/Academic Activities
Extracurricular, Community, and Volunteer Service Activities
Professional Society Involvement (excluding HIMSS)
Communications (10 Points)
Scholarship (30 Points)
Academic Records/Transcripts (Submitted from all schools attended)
GPA (<3.0 on a 4.0 scale)
3.0 – 3.4 = 2 Points
3.5. - 3.8 = 3 Points
3.9 – 4.0 = 5 Points
Additional Informatics Education/Training
Letters of Recommendation
(3 letters, not from friends)