Houston Chapter of HIMSS Student Scholarship
PURPOSE: Provide a $2,000 scholarship to students demonstrating academic excellence and leadership potential in healthcare IT and related fields. Scholarships are financial awards that do not need to be repaid.
AMOUNT: Up to three awards for $2,000 each per fiscal year ending in June 30th.
- Be a full-time or part-time associate, bachelor, graduate, or doctoral student attending an accredited institution, including online degree program. Students enrolled in a certificate or certification program are not eligible to apply for the scholarships. .
- Be a student or employee sponsored member of HIMSS and Houston Chapter of HIMSS.
- Be able to provide a brief presentation of the process of the degreed seeking program to the board toward the end of the fiscal year.
- Have not received Houston Chapter of HIMSS scholarship in prior year.
- Statement of Intent (400-500 words) to describe:
- Professional and personal goals in the healthcare IT or incorporation of healthcare IT
- Use of the scholarship award
- Describe financial needs if applicable
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Official Transcript (Please send all transcripts)
Note: If you have multiple degrees, please send sealed official transcript(s) for current degree program and previously obtained degrees. You can request to have transcripts forwarded to the address below or if you wish to send transcripts by online, links must be provided directly from the schools.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Please read HIMSS Houston Chapter Scholarship Policy and sign/send the agreement as part of the application.
ACCEPT APPLICATIONS: March 1, 2017
DEADLINE: 5:00 PM (CST): April 17, 2017
Submit applications by email to: Anne Park at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please have transcripts mailed to:
MD Anderson Cancer Center
1400 Pressler St., FCT9.5094
Houston, TX 77030
Recipients of scholarships are selected through a holistic review of applicants’ level of statement of intent, resume, academic history, official transcript, and recommendation letters that demonstrate exceptional level of leadership, scholarship, communication and HIMSS participation as outlined below.
Applications will be reviewed and final selection will be made by the Scholarship Selection Subcommittee of Houston HIMSS Chapter.
Leadership (25 Points)
School Related/Academic Activities
Extracurricular, Community, and Volunteer Service Activities
Professional Society Involvement (excluding HIMSS)
Scholarship (25 Points)
Academic Records/Transcripts (Submitted from all schools attended)
GPA (<3.0 on a 4.0 scale): Average of total GPA by all transcripts for each degree
Additional Informatics Education/Training
Professional Intents & Achievements (25 Points)
Letters of Recommendation
Communications (20 Points)
HIMSS Participation (5 Points)
Extent of Participation